Greetings from the real Kuhmistr!

Greetings from the real Kuhmistr!

Our guests are greeted at the entrance by the real Kuhmistr! The German word Kuchenmeister meaning “master of kitchen” – was used in the times of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth to denote chefs. These chefs, commanding the royal and princely kitchens, were first invited from Italy and France, but gradually were replaced by their local colleagues. We believe that our cooks strictly follow the testament of Stanislaw Czerniecki, the famous chef of the XVII century who demanded that the cook should always be “accurate, sober, diligent, faithful, always loyal and polite to his master, and fast”. Our Kuhmistr, dressed according to the fashion of the turn of the XVIII –XIX centuries, represents the collective image of the famous Polish/Lithuanian masters of kitchen but, above all – that of the famous Paul Tremo, “the top Europe’s chef” as he was frequently called. He doesn’t mind your selfies, by the way 🙂

Paul Tremo was born in Berlin in 1734. In 1762, he was recruited as a court chef to Stanisław Poniatowski, who was elected and crowned king of Poland two years later. As the king’s favourite cook, he was responsible for the culinary side of royal banquets, including Thursday Dinners to which the last king invited the leading intellectuals of the time. He followed the king to Grodno and Saint Petersburg after the latter’s abdication in 1795, but returned to Warsaw after his death in 1798. His cooking style combined Polish/Lithuanian, French, German and other west European influences. Following contemporary French models, Tremo drastically reduced the density and caloric value of the food, reduced the amount of spices, introduced into the menu dishes of minced meat and soups – that were almost absent at the noble tables until his notable reforms. Paul Tremo helped to raise the next generation of Polish/Lithuanian chefs, many of whom worked with him as apprentices. One of them was Jan Szyttler, who went on to become a prolific food writer, an author of the first printed cookbooks published in Lithuania and Belarus, pioneering for its time on the whole territory of the former Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth and the Russian Empire.